David Jones, artist and poet (1895-1974) begins his PREFACE TO THE ANATHEMATA :

'I have made a heap of all that I could find.' (1) So wrote Nennius, or whoever composed the introductory matter to Historia Brittonum. He speaks of an 'inward wound' which was caused by the fear that certain things dear to him 'should be like smoke dissipated'. Further, he says, 'not trusting my own learning, which is none at all, but partly from writings and monuments of the ancient inhabitants of Britain, partly from the annals of the Romans and the chronicles of the sacred fathers, Isidore, Hieronymous, Prosper, Eusebius and from the histories of the Scots and Saxons although our enemies . . . I have lispingly put together this . . . about past transactions, that [this material] might not be trodden under foot'. (2)

(1) The actual words are coacervavi omne quod inveni, and occur in Prologue 2 to the Historia.
(2) Quoted from the translation of Prologue 1. See The Works of Gildas and Nennius, J.A.Giles, London 1841.


12 April 2021

Outjet!


Watching 'Call My Agent' (S 1 Ep 2) : A novel proposal is put to the director; a long pause, then a smile as he declares Outjet! Not knowing the meaning of that word, but understanding it signifies approval, the agents raise their glasses in a  toast. Well, then... Outjet!


Being Antipodean, we toast instead Colin McCahon's 'Jet out' series and do some quick ideo-outjet drawings.  

Posted by :
u/silentxem
Outjet?
Watching
 "Call My Agent" on Netflix (French series), and there was a scene where a group was toasting and they all said "Outjet." It's spelled that way in the subtitles. Had never heard this before, and my google search is coming up blank.

Posted by :
[deleted}
Native here (Belgium/France), I have absolutely no idea what that could possibly mean. I have never heard something similar.
When we are toasting, we say "santé !", "tchin (tchin) !" or "à la vôtre !".

Posted by :
level 1
okayamerican
I came here with the same question, and I think I've figured it out. In the subtitles, the word is written in italics. Since the director's name is Gabor Rajevsky (or something)
and he doesn't speak much, I'm guessing he's not French, and "outjet" is a word in his first language, which they all repeat.

We can find only one dictionary definition. Perfect match!

Outjet

owt′jet, n. that which projects from anything
n. Outjut′ting, a projection

- Chambers 20th Century Dictionary

Theatre of the Actors of Regard  
 detail
 A Person Looks At A Work Of Art/
 someone looks at something...
  
 LOGOS/HA HA