David Jones, artist and poet (1895-1974) begins his PREFACE TO THE ANATHEMATA :

'I have made a heap of all that I could find.' (1) So wrote Nennius, or whoever composed the introductory matter to Historia Brittonum. He speaks of an 'inward wound' which was caused by the fear that certain things dear to him 'should be like smoke dissipated'. Further, he says, 'not trusting my own learning, which is none at all, but partly from writings and monuments of the ancient inhabitants of Britain, partly from the annals of the Romans and the chronicles of the sacred fathers, Isidore, Hieronymous, Prosper, Eusebius and from the histories of the Scots and Saxons although our enemies . . . I have lispingly put together this . . . about past transactions, that [this material] might not be trodden under foot'. (2)

(1) The actual words are coacervavi omne quod inveni, and occur in Prologue 2 to the Historia.
(2) Quoted from the translation of Prologue 1. See The Works of Gildas and Nennius, J.A.Giles, London 1841.


26 January 2020

Australia Day/Invasion Day


 Daisy by Pond click to play


 Like, what about the empire? What about the cross?

[Intro]
It's spring and the cherry blossoms sprout
The legs are out and the bronzed chests
And fires bejeweling the southwest
Thank you, darling, for these silver gelatin echoes of me, 
    with you
Smiling like he has to for the cause
For the tribe, for the boys, for the lie

[Verse 1]
Nobody heard me crying in my sleep
Me and the men of the frontier stack the bodies in a heap
Jimmy grabs a beer and we wash our hands in the creek
Ooh, talk is cheap
Frangipanis growing back home
And they're shading the bottle-o line
Once we were dreaming of pearls
Now me and my sons all dream of iron

[Chorus]
Well, Daisy, baby, are you drivin' home?
'Cause this baby doesn't wanna walk alone
She said "Ooh" as she grabbed my tongue
Sometimes you gotta rock the cradle, baby, on your own

[Verse 2]
Ooh, is that boogoo with the big chain?
Is that Annie with the white dress?
Is that granny with the white man
With the no name and the no stress?
Like, what about the empire? What about the cross?
What about the halos? Are the angels inside with the Xbox?
Ooh, that's a dollar for any can
And on Thursdays, I'll be headin' back to see my man

[Chorus]
Well, Daisy, baby, are you drivin' home?
'Cause this baby doesn't wanna walk alone
She said "Ooh" as she grabbed my tongue
Sometimes you gotta rock the cradle, baby, on your own

[Bridge]
Damn, it's cool on the bathroom floor
Well, Daisy doesn't have a babe no more
Damn, it's cool on the bathroom floor
Daisy doesn't have a babe no more

[Outro]
Did seeing real blood remind you that I had a heart?
That was the last kiss, that was a real one
When I see you next year I'll be perfect, yeah
I'll be perfect for you, babe


 What about the halos? Are the angels inside with the Xbox?
  
 detail
 A Person Looks At A Work Of Art/
 someone looks at something...
  
 LOGOS/HA HA