David Jones, artist and poet (1895-1974) begins his PREFACE TO THE ANATHEMATA :

'I have made a heap of all that I could find.' (1) So wrote Nennius, or whoever composed the introductory matter to Historia Brittonum. He speaks of an 'inward wound' which was caused by the fear that certain things dear to him 'should be like smoke dissipated'. Further, he says, 'not trusting my own learning, which is none at all, but partly from writings and monuments of the ancient inhabitants of Britain, partly from the annals of the Romans and the chronicles of the sacred fathers, Isidore, Hieronymous, Prosper, Eusebius and from the histories of the Scots and Saxons although our enemies . . . I have lispingly put together this . . . about past transactions, that [this material] might not be trodden under foot'. (2)

(1) The actual words are coacervavi omne quod inveni, and occur in Prologue 2 to the Historia.
(2) Quoted from the translation of Prologue 1. See The Works of Gildas and Nennius, J.A.Giles, London 1841.


03 April 2013

A Warp In Creation/HA HA

            
Couldn't believe our warped ears! 

Talk about LOGOS! 
Talk about Speaking the World Into Being! 
Talk about Spokesmen of the Catholic Church! 

Warp in creation, indeed!

The extract below is from Q & A (ABCTV) on Monday night.  Video and full transcript here

This, even as the biggest Royal Commission in Australian legal history begins today, The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
       
     
AUDIENCE MEMBER: Sure. It is quite brief. My statement is to the Archbishop. You can accept evolution and creationism and yet you can't accept homosexuality as a - kind of a lifestyle, if you will. I’m going to avoid the use of the word choice because it really isn't one.

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: No, I understand that.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: And my second point, you touched briefly about marriage. We are talking about a socio-legal thing. I am not asking for you to ordain over my marriage, for example, but why should your beliefs impact on my ability to be perhaps taken in front of a justice and for them to preside over my marriage?

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: Yeah, well, just first point I’d say is I’d distinguish completely between sexual orientation and lifestyle. They are not necessarily the same thing. Lifestyle is chosen, sexual orientation is not. That's an important distinction.

TONY JONES: So, sorry, can we just confirm what you’re saying there? So if it is not chosen, that means God has created it?

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: No, not necessarily at all. It can be - it can be a warp in the creation to use that rather unfortunate expression.

   
TONY JONES: It couldn't just be part of God's plan?

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: No, I - that’s not...

TONY JONES: Is that impossible from your point of view?

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: It is impossible from my point of view. Yeah. Yeah. What I...

TONY JONES: So I have got to hear Josh on this.

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: Okay.

JOSH THOMAS: Well, obviously I don't think I am a warp in God's plan. Obviously I reject the - I reject that. What he is saying is, right, marriage in our country is not a religious institution. We’re talking about changing the law.

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: Yep.

JOSH THOMAS: So you can understand when this man says why are we fighting against religion in this square, why people get a bit annoyed when you challenge us wanting to change the law, which is completely irrelevant to your life. It is completely irrelevant to everything you do.

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: No, it’s not. See, Josh, it’s not irrelevant to my life because it’s not irrelevant to the basic functioning of society as a whole. It is not irrelevant to the common good.

JOSH THOMAS: What common good? What is happening?

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: Because I...

JOSH THOMAS: When I kiss my boyfriend goodnight and I tell my boyfriend that I love him and he says, “I love you too” and we fall asleep hugging each other. What about that is hurting you?

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: No, nothing is...

JOSH THOMAS: I don’t understand.

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: Nothing is hurting me personally but marriage is not just between two individuals.

JOSH THOMAS: But surely...

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: It is, in fact, something that goes to the heart of what makes for human flourishing in any society. That's been the wisdom of the ages...

JOSH THOMAS: Well, no, it’s not any society.

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: ...and the wisdom of the ages, in my view...

JOSH THOMAS: Not everyone here.

ARCHBISHOP MARK COLERIDGE: ...has something to contribute to shaping the common good therefore we will continue to speak with our voice and other voices are welcome to contribute.

TONY JONES: I think that’s - I say it’s been a great discussion. I see that a number of people have their hands up but I’m afraid we’re out of time.
     
 detail
 A Person Looks At A Work Of Art/

 someone looks at something ...


 LOGOS/HA HA