David Jones, artist and poet (1895-1974) begins his PREFACE TO THE ANATHEMATA :

'I have made a heap of all that I could find.' (1) So wrote Nennius, or whoever composed the introductory matter to Historia Brittonum. He speaks of an 'inward wound' which was caused by the fear that certain things dear to him 'should be like smoke dissipated'. Further, he says, 'not trusting my own learning, which is none at all, but partly from writings and monuments of the ancient inhabitants of Britain, partly from the annals of the Romans and the chronicles of the sacred fathers, Isidore, Hieronymous, Prosper, Eusebius and from the histories of the Scots and Saxons although our enemies . . . I have lispingly put together this . . . about past transactions, that [this material] might not be trodden under foot'. (2)

(1) The actual words are coacervavi omne quod inveni, and occur in Prologue 2 to the Historia.
(2) Quoted from the translation of Prologue 1. See The Works of Gildas and Nennius, J.A.Giles, London 1841.


27 August 2016

Theatre of Archetypes Regard : EYE - O - SEE

         
In the previous post we mentioned a few reference points that flickered on the radar as we watched the TOKYO 2020 opener at the Rio Olympics closing ceremony.
         
Another allusion, less obvious than those, was to David Cronenberg's 'Scanners' (1981).
            

Theatre of Archetypes Regard 
During one sequence of the TOKYO 2020 presentation the performers shape their fluorescent cubes into the outline of an open eye.


still from the TOKYO 2020 video  
At the centre of that eye (above) is the green outlet of the Tokyo-Rio tunnel drilled through our Earth-O-Sphere by Super Mario. 

Anatomy of the eye, woodcut circa 1503 'Margarita Philosophica' by Gregor Reisch, Freiburg 1503

The Super One emerges through this green reveal and transforms into Prime Minister Abe who then holds aloft the all-symbolising red sphere he has brought from the other side.


unaltered screen snap from the TOKYO 2020 video  
Sitting among this Rio TAR is Darryl Revok...

flashback scene : 

Meeting of the IOC prior to choosing the host for the 2020 Olympic Games :
           
At this point I'd like to call for volunteers.

Anyone. It doesn't matter... 


Darryl Revok volunteers  
Fine.

Just, uh... Sit right here, please.

Now, I'd, I'd like you to think of something specific. Something that will not breach the security of your organization. And that you will not object to having disclosed to this group.
Something, uh, personal, perhaps.

- All right. Yes, I have something. Do I have to close my eyes?

It doesn't matter.

- All right. Yes, I have something.

      from the David Cronenberg script for 'Scanners'

Some time later ...


      
Tell us what you did, please, Darryl.

- I drilled a hole in my head.

Where?

- Kind of obvious, isn't it? Right here.

Why did you do it, Darryl? Why did you drill the hole?

- Too much pressure. Had to release some pressure.

You wanted to let the pressure out? You wanted to let something out of your head?

- Maybe I'm so smart I can't contain the thoughts in my head.

You wanted to let something out of your head?What?

- People. There are people in my head. Not enough room for Darryl.

You mean voices?

- No. Whole people. Arms, legs, hands.

What's that you've put over the hole?

- It's a door. Put an eye on the door so they won't know it's a door and they can't get back in 'cause this is the eye you know?

Do you think that will fool them?

- Sure. Sure it will. I mean... I mean, sure it will, you know?


     from the David Cronenberg script for 'Scanners'
      
FIAPCE  
 detail 
 A Person Looks At A Work Of Art/
 someone looks at something ...


 LOGOS/HA HA